IDMf - Electronic Music & Production Forum - IDMforums.com - View Single Post - Recording LoFi music in a HiFi space
View Single Post
Old 30-03-2017, 09:41 AM   #1
floydianslip
Radial Developer
floydianslip is a glorious beacon of lightfloydianslip is a glorious beacon of lightfloydianslip is a glorious beacon of lightfloydianslip is a glorious beacon of lightfloydianslip is a glorious beacon of lightfloydianslip is a glorious beacon of light
MC Status: 510
Recording LoFi music in a HiFi space

In a few weeks I am going to do an LP for a punk band. They have expressly asked me to make it as LoFi as possible; originally asking me to do everything entirely analog in one session directly to a 4 track tape machine being pushed as hard as possible. While I, as a young punk appreciate rawness in music, I'm also trying to build my reputation as an engineer because I just got my first professional studio job. Does anyone have advice on how to create something that appeases their desire for LoFi but still sounds good?

Thus far I am thinking that I might use multiple room mics and be very heavy handed with parallel drum compression. I have also considered using additive high-end eq on the vocals, snare and cymbals, but using more traditional eq on toms, kick, and bass.

Any ideas?

Advertisements

------------------
floydianslip is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote