IDMf - Electronic Music & Production Forum - IDMforums.com - View Single Post - PD installation with motion sensors concept.
View Single Post
Old 25-03-2014, 03:55 PM   #8
SUN of IRA
Soundwave Mangler
SUN of IRA has a brilliant futureSUN of IRA has a brilliant futureSUN of IRA has a brilliant futureSUN of IRA has a brilliant futureSUN of IRA has a brilliant futureSUN of IRA has a brilliant futureSUN of IRA has a brilliant futureSUN of IRA has a brilliant futureSUN of IRA has a brilliant futureSUN of IRA has a brilliant futureSUN of IRA has a brilliant future
Manchester
MC Status: 1560
Re: PD installation with motion sensors concept.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scyn View Post
I wonder how many people kinect or even a webcam could track. You could create some really cool conditional statements like

if people.count=10, then do X, or
if people.count=5, then do Y.

You could then break those down further and say

if <(0.5).facing.direction=north, then do A
if >(0.5).facing.direction=south, then do B

So you could start to build up multiple conditions like X+A, and if they're associated cleverly with the musical output you can get some really interesting generative stuff going on. Generating those conditions from the kinect or other raw data might be tricky though - I know for kinect there's a few freely available apps which give you instant access to a lot of conditions - but they're probably more associated with single-person actions (lift arm, wave etc).

Still - if you can write your own code to handle the data from whichever sensor you use - you'll be able to do some incredible stuff, especially when you start to get consistently recognizable conditions popping up to direct the output.
Just been chatting to my old man who is a bit of a programming ninja about this and he said the same thing. I am going to be very busy with this by the looks of it.

------------------
SUN of IRA is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote