IDMf - Electronic Music & Production Forum - IDMforums.com - View Single Post - PD installation with motion sensors concept.
View Single Post
Old 25-03-2014, 01:00 PM   #1
SUN of IRA
Soundwave Mangler
SUN of IRA has a brilliant futureSUN of IRA has a brilliant futureSUN of IRA has a brilliant futureSUN of IRA has a brilliant futureSUN of IRA has a brilliant futureSUN of IRA has a brilliant futureSUN of IRA has a brilliant futureSUN of IRA has a brilliant futureSUN of IRA has a brilliant futureSUN of IRA has a brilliant futureSUN of IRA has a brilliant future
Manchester
MC Status: 1560
PD installation with motion sensors concept.

This idea is very much in itís infancy so if it makes little or no sense please ask me to clarify.

I was at an art installation created by a friend a while ago and there was a DJ playing. This caused me to start thinking about how as DJs we read a room while selecting music. What if, rather than relying on a human to read a room, we used the room itself as a means of generating changes in sound.

What I am getting at is whether or not it would be possible to use motion sensors or other, similar technology to use movement as a means of modulating certain parameters within a PD patch. So as guests moved around the room, sensors would pick up this movement and use it to modulate the sounds. I do not know whether this would be feasible or whether anyone has approached this concept before but I am really interested to see if it would be possible. I am completely intrigued by the concept of taking myself away from the performance aspect and allowing the music to be changed spontaneously by the people who are experiencing it. No two performances would be the same as all modulation is completely reliant upon audience interaction and movement.

As I am not an yet an expert PD programmer, I am unsure as to whether there would be a way to integrate this kind of hardware into a PD patch. Also, I can see that there may be problems in finding such hardware that is affordable and can detect multiple movements at once.

If I am barking up the wrong tree, please tell me to stop wasting my time.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Advertisements

------------------
SUN of IRA is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote