IDMf - Electronic Music & Production Forum - IDMforums.com - View Single Post - Octatrack users - collected tutorials and tricks
View Single Post
Old 24-09-2017, 07:42 PM   #18
relic
IDMf SupporterModerator
relic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MCrelic is a savage MC
The AK Rowdy Rowdy
MC Status: 8540830
Thanked 6,998 Times in 4,973 Posts
Re: Octatrack users - collected tutorials and tricks

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbvdb493 View Post
@relic, I am pretty sure the digitakt is much closer to the "typical" groovebox sampler than the octatrack.

The octatrack is called a performance sampler for a reason. You can use it as a studio tool 100% but it is also a great backing track/ center of a live performance setup machine.
I am not too familiar with the elektron stuff, but the a4 is the same idea, on paper it's not a very interesting synth, but the sequencer is where it's at.
The octatrack is the same imo. It is working for me cuz I will chop drum loops and some other monophonic stuff (bass and ambiance) and sequence them and play guitar or other stuff over them but yeah, get a sample, do a little with it, and use sequencer steps to do a TON more after the fact.
There are videos out there of hip hop people using it more like an mpc but I am pretty sure that's not its main strength.
Having owned both an octatrack and an old mpc I think they are both very different in what your approach is to them, but in the end I am pretty sure you can achieve very similar results with either.
Very, very true of all the Elektron stuff. If you subtract the seqeuncer fromt the equation they mostly don't do anything innovative or exciting.

------------------
relic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote