IDMf - Electronic Music & Production Forum - IDMforums.com - View Single Post - Octatrack users - collected tutorials and tricks
View Single Post
Old 24-09-2017, 06:07 PM   #15
jbvdb493
IDMf Supporter
jbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MCjbvdb493 is a savage MC
MC Status: 26660
Re: Octatrack users - collected tutorials and tricks

@relic, I am pretty sure the digitakt is much closer to the "typical" groovebox sampler than the octatrack.

The octatrack is called a performance sampler for a reason. You can use it as a studio tool 100% but it is also a great backing track/ center of a live performance setup machine.
I am not too familiar with the elektron stuff, but the a4 is the same idea, on paper it's not a very interesting synth, but the sequencer is where it's at.
The octatrack is the same imo. It is working for me cuz I will chop drum loops and some other monophonic stuff (bass and ambiance) and sequence them and play guitar or other stuff over them but yeah, get a sample, do a little with it, and use sequencer steps to do a TON more after the fact.
There are videos out there of hip hop people using it more like an mpc but I am pretty sure that's not its main strength.
Having owned both an octatrack and an old mpc I think they are both very different in what your approach is to them, but in the end I am pretty sure you can achieve very similar results with either.
jbvdb493 is online now   Thanks Reply With Quote
Thanks to jbvdb493
relic (24-09-2017)