IDMf - Electronic Music & Production Forum - IDMforums.com - View Single Post - First synth- what should I get???
View Single Post
Old 21-05-2017, 09:51 PM   #14
Muse-ic
Wanderer
Muse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MCMuse-ic is a savage MC
MC Status: 6963183
Thanked 4,075 Times in 2,700 Posts
Re: First synth- what should I get???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automageddon View Post
I was thinking that as you already play piano you might instead explore something that is not keyboard based.
You could look into something more groove-oriented, like a Novation Circuit, Korg Electribe or even an Elektron Analog Rytm and explore a way of composing that is more loop based then use your skills to add something yours.
I really like your suggestion. I tend to get stuck in key mode sometimes and it would be nice to learn a new approach to making music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDoG View Post
I would get either a MicroBrute ($200 used) or an MS-20 mini ($300 used).

MB: much simpler and more immediate, perfect for learning the very basics of subtractive synthesis, sounds awesome, perfect couch synth due to it's size and weight, all the CV in/out can make it a great companion for modular gear or other synths that have the same. But also kind of limited, with only 1 VCF (though you have 3 modes: LF, BP, HP), 1 Envelop and 1 LFO.

MS20: a bit of a learning curve, but still pretty simple if you ignore the patch section; has a lot more standard features (2 VCOs, LP and HP filters, 3 LFOs, 2 envelopes) and you can get pretty crazy with the patching, which will keep you busy for many years to come. It's kind of cheaply made and somewhat noisy (which bothers some people, but most just accept it as part of its charm).

You didn't specify your budget, but those would be my choices for under 300 used. But there's been an explosion of good sounding and very affordable analog monosynths lately and you really can't go wrong with any of them.
Thank you. I will check both out. 300 would be great, I am trying to stay under 500.
Muse-ic is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote