IDMf - Electronic Music & Production Forum - IDMforums.com - View Single Post - Forcing a track
Thread: Forcing a track
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2016, 04:58 PM   #20
jimmusician
Deep Underground
jimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond reputejimmusician has a reputation beyond repute
MC Status: 8798
Re: Forcing a track

Quote:
Originally Posted by aLiner View Post
Do you ever try to force something from the beginning? I tried this because I was personally ashamed of my own lack of productivity in the music world. I noticed that it was stressful to do this however. Rather than experimenting, I was forcing some ideas based around a rhythm

I think when you force something from an idea you formed in your mind; it taps into your ego, and you forget about the love for what you're doing and just become anxious.
When I was totally inexperienced to FL and my only goal was to slap together ideas that old band mates just were completely stubborn to try, it was like magic. A year or so later and I heard "you've got ideas, but the production doesn't sound great". I tried forcing myself to learn about compression, EQ, watched tutorials endlessly, and honestly when I would put out new tracks, they'd sound god awful compared to how they used to. My old material, despite sounding uncompressed, was fun. Maybe too fast, but really fun. It was fun because I let clipping happen, shape my sound, I worked with it rather than against it.

My opinion, take a break. Forcing what is not working will only sound forced. Figure out how you want to sound.
jimmusician is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote