IDMf - Electronic Music & Production Forum - IDMforums.com - View Single Post - Forcing a track
Thread: Forcing a track
View Single Post
Old 04-09-2016, 03:59 PM   #16
Narukami Music
Master of the LFO
Narukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MCNarukami Music is a savage MC
MC Status: 10160
Re: Forcing a track

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnkvolcno View Post
Hahaha..

I hate to maybe sound like a jerk (again), but I just want to point out that the people who say they don't think your should pressure yourself to finish a track are the people who are saying they are not able to finish tracks.

As YoSoyPincho said, you can shift your perspective to where you're not seeing it as "forcing".

Another way of looking at it is that you're practicing finishing a track. If you were to go to school for music composition, you would analyze pieces and what not, but they would also require you to complete many compositions. That's because completing a work is a skill to itself. If you never bite the bullet and focus and develop that skill, you will probably be dealing with this issue for a long time. But like I said earlier, eventually you won't have to think about it.

It sucks at first and it's hard. But it's worth it. Like I always say... Making music is one of the best experiences you can have, if it was easy, everyone would be a musician.

Tl;dr:
Gotta pay your dues

"Completing a work is a skill itself"

I agree wholeheartedly. I've written quite a lot of tracks over the last year and this year. The reason why I can write so many songs is because, at the start, I pretty much forced myself to finish and complete songs because I need to write something and move on, rather than be stuck and be miserable forever.

However, I still stick to my previous post in that if you REALLY can't think of anything to do with your track. Move on and write something else. No use feeling upset over something that you'll never complete. You should know when to force yourself to continue going, and know when to stop and move on.

------------------
Narukami Music is offline   Thanks Reply With Quote