IDMf - Electronic Music & Production Forum - IDMforums.com

IDMf - Electronic Music & Production Forum - IDMforums.com (http://www.idmforums.com/index.php)
-   Workstation Center (http://www.idmforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=162)
-   -   "Rent-To-Own" Serum (http://www.idmforums.com/showthread.php?t=144194)

A.M 04-08-2016 09:23 PM

"Rent-To-Own" Serum
 
Got an email today about this, as I'm sure many of you must have, too. Basically, for those who haven't heard, Splice Plugins are offering customers the chance to take out a "Rent-to-Own" plan on the famous Serum VSTi, just $9.99 per month..and it comes with a free 3 day trial, too.

[Only registered and activated mad cunts can see links. Click Here To Register...]

[Only registered and activated mad cunts can see links. Click Here To Register...]

They also say you can drop out of the plan at any time and return to monthly payments again at any time down the line and start where you left off. There is no extra fees involved and what you end up paying for Serum in the end is exactly the same as if you paid in full for it up front.

Sounds good to me. :D

666 05-08-2016 08:18 AM

Re: "Rent-To-Own" Serum
 
The only problem I see with this is that everyone isn't offering such an option yet.

I'm hoping UVI Falcon is on deck. I'd take a dick in the mouth once a month just to see if I like it.

A.M 05-08-2016 11:11 AM

Re: "Rent-To-Own" Serum
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 666 (Post 1408420)
The only problem I see with this is that everyone isn't offering such an option yet.

I'm hoping UVI Falcon is on deck. I'd take a dick in the mouth once a month just to see if I like it.

Yeah..I think, by the general "talk" on the Splice site, that this might be something they're going to try and offer across the board..meaning they might be in talks with other companies to offer other software under the same terms..which would be uber-cool!

Johnson Academy 05-08-2016 12:16 PM

Re: "Rent-To-Own" Serum
 
Part of me is really happy to see this, and I wonder why this hasn't been used before. As a student (no steady income) this is a game changer when it comes to buying new software and supporting the developers.

But,

this may seem far fetched, but lots of beginners/young producers (myself included) might easily drown him/herself in too many VSTs. We all probably know the scenario I am talking about: "I'm not happy with my procudtion" -> *See a video on youtube where favourite artist uses X VST and makes dope patch with it/tells how essential it is* -> "Damn, I better get it".

But still, this is really awesome and will definetly put a dent on torrenting illegal copies.

A.M 05-08-2016 12:29 PM

Re: "Rent-To-Own" Serum
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnson Academy (Post 1408457)
Part of me is really happy to see this, and I wonder why this hasn't been used before. As a student (no steady income) this is a game changer when it comes to buying new software and supporting the developers.

But,

this may seem far fetched, but lots of beginners/young producers (myself included) might easily drown him/herself in too many VSTs. We all probably know the scenario I am talking about: "I'm not happy with my procudtion" -> *See a video on youtube where favourite artist uses X VST and makes dope patch with it/tells how essential it is* -> "Damn, I better get it".

But still, this is really awesome and will definetly put a dent on torrenting illegal copies.

Yeah, JA..I think you're spot on there about the whole "instrument junkie" thing..it's a phase we all inevitably go through..be it software..hardware..or both..one that can sometimes come back to haunt us time and again through the years.

It's like we go through this cycle of production, where we start off buying shit to make music..then we stop buying and become really creative with the tools we've bought.

But then, as some point, we start to feel that itch again and get drawn in by that new synth or whatever it is that's caught our eye..and the cycle begins all over again.

I think the underlying cause is the drive to produce even better music..the need we have to become better at what we do..and the smart companies out there know how to market to that part of us..selling us something that we think will help make us sound better or simplify something we already do in the production chain.

The important thing, though, is to try to keep all this in mind and draw a mental line we won't cross. Granted, it's not an easy thing to do for some..but it's something we all have to do in our own way sooner or later. :)

Johnson Academy 05-08-2016 12:44 PM

Re: "Rent-To-Own" Serum
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by A.M (Post 1408461)
Yeah, JA..I think you're spot on there about the whole "instrument junkie" thing..it's a phase we all inevitably go through..be it software..hardware..or both..one that can sometimes come back to haunt us time and again through the years.

It's like we go through this cycle of production, where we start off buying shit to make music..then we stop buying and become really creative with the tools we've bought.

But then, as some point, we start to feel that itch again and get drawn in by that new synth or whatever it is that's caught our eye..and the cycle begins all over again.

I think the underlying cause is the drive to produce even better music..the need we have to become better at what we do..and the smart companies out there know how to market to that part of us..selling us something that we think will help make us sound better or simplify something we already do in the production chain.

The important thing, though, is to try to keep all this in mind and draw a mental line we won't cross. Granted, it's not an easy thing to do for some..but it's something we all have to do in our own way sooner or later. :)

Absolutely. I told myself not to buy anything new before I have "mastered" my previous software. But then it all comes down to my own perception on what is "mastered". I have noticed that I am good in fooling myself to think all sorts of stuff. "Yeah fuck it I know how to use Massive pretty good let's go Serum!".

Funny thing is that pretty much every stupid thing I have bought have usually came in handy at some point: I remember when I bought Maschine. I used it for a week, then noticed that it didn't fit in my workflow, and stopped using it. After like 1 year while "reinventing" my craft I noticed that Machine have became quite essential thing in my workflow.

bIOtAPEstry 17-08-2016 01:03 AM

Re: "Rent-To-Own" Serum
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by A.M (Post 1408461)
Yeah, JA..I think you're spot on there about the whole "instrument junkie" thing..it's a phase we all inevitably go through..be it software..hardware..or both..one that can sometimes come back to haunt us time and again through the years.

It's like we go through this cycle of production, where we start off buying shit to make music..then we stop buying and become really creative with the tools we've bought.

But then, as some point, we start to feel that itch again and get drawn in by that new synth or whatever it is that's caught our eye..and the cycle begins all over again.

I think the underlying cause is the drive to produce even better music..the need we have to become better at what we do..and the smart companies out there know how to market to that part of us..selling us something that we think will help make us sound better or simplify something we already do in the production chain.

The important thing, though, is to try to keep all this in mind and draw a mental line we won't cross. Granted, it's not an easy thing to do for some..but it's something we all have to do in our own way sooner or later. :)

I hear you brother man. Ive been traveling around with a laptop, sound card and my guitar for nearly a year on the road. When your on a shoe string budget you find yourself making good use of the 'old' tools you have. If you use them well enough and they may open a pathway that could lead to expanding other enterprises. Just got an mpk mini from akai, its simple, I love it!

SadSandwich 25-08-2016 04:42 PM

Re: "Rent-To-Own" Serum
 
Just some financial advice: If your cash flow is high/consistent, then this is a good option. However, this is NOT for people that make money sporadically or through projects. This logic should be applied with any financial decision. Even if it is only a $10/month one.

A.M 25-08-2016 04:55 PM

Re: "Rent-To-Own" Serum
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SadSandwich (Post 1411098)
Just some financial advice: If your cash flow is high/consistent, then this is a good option. However, this is NOT for people that make money sporadically or through projects. This logic should be applied with any financial decision. Even if it is only a $10/month one.

Actually, this offer IS perfect for those on a low or limited budget..mainly due to the "stop and start" nature of the plan on offer. Under the terms of purchase, you can stop making payments any time you like and restart at a later date. Everything you paid in the past will still be taken into account when you come back later..meaning if you already paid 9 months, when you start paying again, the 9 months are still credited to your account and you only own the outstanding balance..you don't lose any money and you don't pay any interest either, unlike other rent-to-buy plans.

SadSandwich 25-08-2016 05:13 PM

Re: "Rent-To-Own" Serum
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by A.M (Post 1411100)
Actually, this offer IS perfect for those on a low or limited budget..mainly due to the "stop and start" nature of the plan on offer. Under the terms of purchase, you can stop making payments any time you like and restart at a later date. Everything you paid in the past will still be taken into account when you come back later..meaning if you already paid 9 months, when you start paying again, the 9 months are still credited to your account and you only own the outstanding balance..you don't lose any money and you don't pay any interest either, unlike other rent-to-buy plans.

Lol well I am blatantly wrong then! Thank you for letting me know. You just got them another customer :)

professurreal 30-08-2016 10:09 AM

Re: "Rent-To-Own" Serum
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by A.M (Post 1411100)
Actually, this offer IS perfect for those on a low or limited budget..mainly due to the "stop and start" nature of the plan on offer. Under the terms of purchase, you can stop making payments any time you like and restart at a later date. Everything you paid in the past will still be taken into account when you come back later..meaning if you already paid 9 months, when you start paying again, the 9 months are still credited to your account and you only own the outstanding balance..you don't lose any money and you don't pay any interest either, unlike other rent-to-buy plans.

And you never actually own the synth so once you stop paying you have nothing that's your's apart from the sounds you already made and bounced. What if you make a track with it, forget to bounce the Serum track to audio and want to open up the project again alter on at a time where you are no longer paying for it? Will you have to reactivate the synth so you can use it again to bounce it?
I kinda get why people would do this but if you use a synth regularily you will end up paying more in total than if you buy it.

professurreal 30-08-2016 10:12 AM

Re: "Rent-To-Own" Serum
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by A.M (Post 1411100)
Actually, this offer IS perfect for those on a low or limited budget..mainly due to the "stop and start" nature of the plan on offer. Under the terms of purchase, you can stop making payments any time you like and restart at a later date. Everything you paid in the past will still be taken into account when you come back later..meaning if you already paid 9 months, when you start paying again, the 9 months are still credited to your account and you only own the outstanding balance..you don't lose any money and you don't pay any interest either, unlike other rent-to-buy plans.

Yeah but you wonT' be able to use it while you're not paying, right? It's pretty much like any subscription. Pay while you use it and not while you're not. But even if you're just gonna use it for one sounds during the period of a month this one sound will cost you those 10$, right? I suppose if you use it for a lot of stuff on particular project then yes it could be worth it but I can also see cases where it will be a blatant waste of money...

A.M 30-08-2016 02:10 PM

Re: "Rent-To-Own" Serum
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by professurreal (Post 1411725)
Yeah but you wonT' be able to use it while you're not paying, right? It's pretty much like any subscription. Pay while you use it and not while you're not. But even if you're just gonna use it for one sounds during the period of a month this one sound will cost you those 10$, right? I suppose if you use it for a lot of stuff on particular project then yes it could be worth it but I can also see cases where it will be a blatant waste of money...

Dude, fist of all, why the hell would you pay for something you're not going to use..seriously! If you're going to enter into any kind of rent-to-buy deal, then you really need to be sure it's what you want to do in the first place..otherwise it's just plain dumb and a waste of funds. I mean, NOBODY should buy shit they don't need..end of story.

As for this deal..if you want the synth, then take the deal..it DOES NOT cost you more in the long..it costs you EXACTLY the same as if you were to buy the Serum up front..there's not added fees or extra costs added on for taking the rest-to-buy deal.

And..obviously..if you stop paying before you've paid for it in full, then you stop being able to use it until you start paying again..that's normal and applies to anything you ever rent-to-buy. Offline, they usually send somebody around to repossess your stuff if you skip payments..but in this case they don't do anything..you just can't use the synth again until you start making payments again. Then, once you've paid the full total the synth is 100% yours.

I honestly don't understand how you or anyone can see this as a bad deal..you either want the synth..in which case it's a sweet deal//of you don't and none of this should bother you at all.

professurreal 30-08-2016 06:08 PM

"Rent-To-Own" Serum
 
Ok sorry I totally missed the part that you own the synth once you paid the full price.
I thought it was simply a subscription to use it...

And I have certain synths that I only use sometimes for specific kind which I don't use regularly but still don't want to live without...

MFXxx 30-08-2016 08:00 PM

Re: "Rent-To-Own" Serum
 
I think it's a very selfless way for a developer to deliver sales of a full priced product. Maybe more will follow and help reduce the piracy framework.

professurreal 30-08-2016 08:14 PM

"Rent-To-Own" Serum
 
Yeah it does seems quite appealing actually. Might give it a shot then as I've wanted try out serum for a while now.

mnkvolcno 30-08-2016 11:32 PM

Re: "Rent-To-Own" Serum
 
yea.. I can't see a way to find anything wrong with this, from a customer's perspective at least.

I don't really know is this is the case or not, but it could potentially hurt developers.. Why? Because I'm pretty sure most people buy synths on impulse, use them for a relatively short amount of time, and then they go in the closet. In this case the person might very well just decide to say screw it.

But obviously more people will end up going for it. Hell.. I'm considering it now. So in the long run, all the people that "stop and start" paying for it, will likely add up to increased overall profits.

I hope more devs would do this. Dropping 200 clams for me is a big deal. But there is a ton of software I'd like to own.

liquid_air 31-08-2016 01:54 AM

Re: "Rent-To-Own" Serum
 
How is this even a debate? Same cost to own. Awesome synth to own. Well worth it.

SadSandwich 31-08-2016 04:50 AM

Re: "Rent-To-Own" Serum
 
I think the real problem here is that no one reads things in full. Myself included. Totally skimmed it and ended looking like a dingus.

mnkvolcno 31-08-2016 06:11 AM

Re: "Rent-To-Own" Serum
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SadSandwich (Post 1411825)
I think the real problem here is that no one reads things in full. Myself included. Totally skimmed it and ended looking like a dingus.

Well at least you're not like me who reads things all the way through but manages to misread stuff nine times out of ten.


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 11:52 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.