IDMf - Electronic Music & Production Forum - IDMforums.com

IDMf - Electronic Music & Production Forum - IDMforums.com (http://www.idmforums.com/index.php)
-   Technology & Lifestyle (http://www.idmforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=91)
-   -   Upgrading to Win 10 and need legit previous version? (http://www.idmforums.com/showthread.php?t=143987)

Roo Stercogburn 12-07-2016 07:40 PM

Upgrading to Win 10 and need legit previous version?

This is all legal, so nobody get uptight. I didn't have a version of Windows that was eligible for the free Win 10 upgrade. Legit, just not eligible.

There's only a few weeks remaining on the free upgrade offer and come August a full version costs around 80, or about 170 if you go for the pro version.

Get yourself a Win 8.1 activation/license key via Amazon or your vendor of choice. On Amazon, I was able to get a Win 8.1 Pro activation key for 20. It came in German. No fucks given :D

Download the 8.1 installation ISO from Microsoft to a USB stick, CD or DVD, whichever you prefer. You may see some options for 'N' or such like. Ignore them, you just want the obvious "Windows 8.1 Pro" if you're going for the same Pro option as me. By Pro I refer to Windows 8.1, not myself.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/soft...nload/windows8

Install it.

Don't bother with patching updates as you'll be overwriting it a few seconds after installation.

When the installation is complete, go to the Win 10 site and download. It will do the installation checker to make sure you have memory, CPU and disk space. If you've been naughty and filled your C: drive with shite, you have some admin to do, otherwise you can proceed with the Win 10 download and installation.

You just saved around 150.

joem 12-07-2016 08:03 PM

Re: Upgrading to Win 10 and need legit previous version?

i posted this ages ago when windows 10 was first rolling out

Roo Stercogburn 12-07-2016 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joem (Post 1405435)
i posted this ages ago when windows 10 was first rolling out

Gratz

professurreal 12-07-2016 08:08 PM

Just beware that that license is bound to the hardware you installed it on so if you ever get a new PC you will have to buy Windows again.

relic 12-07-2016 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by professurreal (Post 1405437)
Just beware that that license is bound to the hardware you installed it on so if you ever get a new PC you will have to buy Windows again.

Is that a new policy? I think I remember installing the same serial for XP on two computers (not simultaneously though, when I built new computer I used my old XP serial).

Roo Stercogburn 12-07-2016 08:40 PM

Microsoft like tying installations to the hard drive serial number but I seem to recall you can change the HDD once in a while without incurring a licencing issue. Not checked recently though. I may do some google-fu when I finish this nice wine.

liquid_air 12-07-2016 10:52 PM

All my OS upgrades have been free.

Schnork 13-07-2016 10:05 AM

I actually own a legit Win 7, came with my wifes laptop, but I didn't plan to update. Such aggressive 'advertising' is just...Yeah, you know...

Don't think my 2012 laptop would run Live 64 on Win10 in a usefull way.

relic 13-07-2016 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schnork (Post 1405488)
I actually own a legit Win 7, came with my wifes laptop, but I didn't plan to update. Such aggressive 'advertising' is just...Yeah, you know...

Don't think my 2012 laptop would run Live 64 on Win10 in a usefull way.

I upgraded several machines older than that to Windows 10 and it improved performance on all of them. Our desktop for running our point of sales system at work improved 100%. My studio computer which I built in 2009 runs significantly better. I updated an old ass, crappy HP that ran like shit and made it usable as a computer to browse the internet and do basic office tasks for my partner.

You can roll it back and it really didn't take long to upgrade any of them. Just food for thought.

Roo Stercogburn 13-07-2016 03:43 PM

A lot of people were so focused on hating the interface in Win 8.x they didn't notice that Microsoft had improved disk access and other behind-the-scenes features that give better performance or functionality. Once I'd confirmed Win 8 was stable it was a no-brainer for me to upgrade to it for the disk streaming benefits. The interface issues I could live with.

I've still to reinstall all my music stuff for Win 10. The crossgrade from Win 8.1 Ent to Win 8.1 Pro meant I need to reinstall all my music applications. Small price to pay.

relic 13-07-2016 04:23 PM

The only problem I had upgrading was my studio machine--for some reason the upgrade defaulted to the touch GUI, which is very difficult to navigate with a mouse. Once I looked up how to change that setting everything was awesome.

Numerical 13-07-2016 07:51 PM

I'm not sure about that tying OS installs to hardwarebit . i got a Win7 key from a friend and used it on my own computer for a while, then when I bought an all new set of hardware last december i just used it again and upgraded to 10 from there.

D42K732202 13-07-2016 09:49 PM

windows 8 and 10 are just bloatware upgrades of windows 7, trust me as an ex-programmer

Roo Stercogburn 13-07-2016 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D42K732202 (Post 1405555)
windows 8 and 10 are just bloatware upgrades of windows 7, trust me as an ex-programmer

Cool, did you work on them?

Schnork 14-07-2016 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by relic (Post 1405505)
I upgraded several machines older than that to Windows 10 and it improved performance on all of them. Our desktop for running our point of sales system at work improved 100%. My studio computer which I built in 2009 runs significantly better. I updated an old ass, crappy HP that ran like shit and made it usable as a computer to browse the internet and do basic office tasks for my partner.

You can roll it back and it really didn't take long to upgrade any of them. Just food for thought.

Wow...Seriously?! I'm relying on quite a few old plugins, not sure if I'll be able to run my whole software environment on Win10 - Nevertheless I'll reconsider my decision, thx man.

Roo Stercogburn 14-07-2016 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joem (Post 1405449)
use ultimate windows tweaker and bypass the privacy options telemetry
http://www.thewindowsclub.com/ultima...r-4-windows-10

One of the problems with tweakers is that the settings can be undone when Win 10 gets updates and you need to re-do the settings again.

Safer-Networking (the makers of the very excellent Spybot) have produced this:

https://www.safer-networking.org/spybot-anti-beacon/

It runs on your machine and actively blocks the telemetry even if patching makes changes to your machine's underlying config.

D42K732202 14-07-2016 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stercogburn (Post 1405567)
Cool, did you work on them?

yup, same kernel just different interface and some useless features, and cloud service that is uploading your files whether you want it or not, can be fully disabled (after a lot of work) but it actually easier to stay with win 7, +you get more free ram with 7

relic 14-07-2016 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Schnork (Post 1405589)
Wow...Seriously?! I'm relying on quite a few old plugins, not sure if I'll be able to run my whole software environment on Win10 - Nevertheless I'll reconsider my decision, thx man.

I havent used my workstation a ton since upgrading but everything worked perfect for three different project files I was working on...all plugins I typically use even older freeware...also didnt have an issue opening pre upgrade projects..but seriously our point of sales machine at work is a whole other computer. Maybe the install just cleaned out a bunch of garbage or reset bad settings, but that machine is night and day different.

cant type much due to a wrist injury, but yea...very shocked at how well its gone so far

relic 14-07-2016 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D42K732202 (Post 1405626)
yup, same kernel just different interface and some useless features, and cloud service that is uploading your files whether you want it or not, can be fully disabled (after a lot of work) but it actually easier to stay with win 7, +you get more free ram with 7

Im not surprised, but seriously all the machines I upgraded run better.

Automageddon 14-07-2016 04:36 PM

I'll be installing a Win 10 partition on my Mac just to install a game engine I really want to try and maybe have a play with my dormant Fruity Loops license. It will cost me a whopping 17...