IDMf - Electronic Music & Production Forum - IDMforums.com

IDMf - Electronic Music & Production Forum - IDMforums.com (http://www.idmforums.com/index.php)
-   Sound Design, Mixing, & Studio Techniques (http://www.idmforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=131)
-   -   Making male vocals into female (http://www.idmforums.com/showthread.php?t=139432)

Crude_beats 01-07-2015 05:26 PM

Making male vocals into female

Yo!

You have any tips to share on how to make male vocals into female sounding?

I played around with it and so far only did some repitch and EQ work. For me changing pitch +6 semitones yielded interesting results. But I want more flexibility and better final product. I never used vocoders much so if anyone can give some quick tips on that its greatly appreciated.

If it ends up sounding robot female voice that is fine

joem 01-07-2015 05:33 PM

Re: Making male vocals into female

melodyne

DjRapitops 01-07-2015 06:23 PM

Harmor resampling with formant editing per harmonic - oh wait :D

Mindsweeper 01-07-2015 07:09 PM

Just raising the pitch will make you sound more like a chipmunk than a woman. You need something that does formant shifting too. Melodyne mentioned above can do this, but I also like this plugin [Only registered and activated mad cunts can see links. Click Here To Register...]

It also helps if you try to sing a bit high and smoothly in the first place, a rough voice will probably be harder to make convincingly into a lady

chasedobson 01-07-2015 09:13 PM

Antares AVOX plugins excel at this.

Rakka Nova 26-05-2016 09:16 PM

haven't played much with this but I tried, formant +3, pitch +3 gives me decent results.

Mctoast 26-05-2016 10:05 PM

I guess any voice changer works.

Khoi 27-05-2016 01:43 AM

The Hatsune Miku vocaloid plugin is a thing of beauty if you're looking for that Japanese schoolgirl vibe.

Crude_beats 27-05-2016 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Khoi (Post 1398069)
The Hatsune Miku vocaloid plugin is a thing of beauty if you're looking for that Japanese schoolgirl vibe.

sounds cool thanks for tip. I'm not sure yet what I want. Smth that translates my upper range into smth that sounds ok without to much detail work would be ideal.

Mindsweeper 27-05-2016 07:19 AM

Miku isn't going to make your manly voice girly, it's a sound source in and of itself. Like a vocal rompler really.

Here's a fun idea, sing twinkle twinkle little star (or something equally simple) in different octaves/transpositions and styles until you nail the range and placement that can be pitch-shifted into ladiesville with least effort. I recommend trying some MAJOR FALSETTO

I found that if I sit around the bottom half-octave of my range, I can pitch shift -5 and suddenly become Ultimate Manguy McDudeMale. Especially if I'm doing the yawn-voice open larynx thing. NOW GO FORTH AND GENDERBEND

Crude_beats 27-05-2016 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mindsweeper (Post 1398090)
Miku isn't going to make your manly voice girly, it's a sound source in and of itself. Like a vocal rompler really.

Here's a fun idea, sing twinkle twinkle little star (or something equally simple) in different octaves/transpositions and styles until you nail the range and placement that can be pitch-shifted into ladiesville with least effort. I recommend trying some MAJOR FALSETTO

I found that if I sit around the bottom half-octave of my range, I can pitch shift -5 and suddenly become Ultimate Manguy McDudeMale. Especially if I'm doing the yawn-voice open larynx thing. NOW GO FORTH AND GENDERBEND

Ah thanks, I'll check it anyway it sounds interesting and I can always put it into some chorus thing.

Yeah that is what I did yesterday, sat an sang bunch of different stuff all over the place in my range and just fooled around with it trying everything from making my lows into layered basslines and highs into female sounding stuff. I think if I can manage to mix in some more air in my upper range it will get much better end results.

Thanks for help and the encouraging words :D

Khoi 27-05-2016 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mindsweeper (Post 1398090)

There's a vocal source program for Miku (which is what you're referring to) but there's also a vocal effector plugin that is a derivative of the original Yamaha source program, which is what I was suggesting. But your falsetto suggestion sounds cool too. There was a transgender MtF named Candy a couple years back that made Youtube tutorials on how to make female voice impersonations, let me check and see if that channel's still up.

Nystagmus 27-05-2016 10:05 PM

This thread is cool in a funny way.
Reminds me of back in the day I was considering doing a genderbent vocal electronic thing.
I was going to call the artist name FMN8 :D :D :D

SKYCORE 27-05-2016 10:07 PM

this tracks whole gimmick was how he changed his voice to sound slightly female leaning child like

[Only registered and activated mad cunts can see links. Click Here To Register...]

Crude_beats 28-05-2016 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nystagmus (Post 1398200)
This thread is cool in a funny way.
Reminds me of back in the day I was considering doing a genderbent vocal electronic thing.
I was going to call the artist name FMN8 :D :D :D

:) I'd like to hear.

Having femme vocs at the ready I think most producers wouldn't mind. I hope I get satisfied with what I manage to get out off it.

I have like 2-4 songs planned without any femme at all ahead so this be a future project, plans change quickly though.

Heard a.... fucks the genre name now (micro edit thing, there's vsts done solely for it, all the shit in idm ~6-8years ago).... anyway cool song with female vocs chopped stutterish robotish at a friends tonight. I could do smth like that, not enough of a challenge though, done to much downtempo. However if I could make some candy cute cotton barbie girl pop I would, definitely gonna try sometime.

erikmichael 28-05-2016 04:41 PM

If you have a plugin like autotune or melodyne you can adjust the throat length of the audio to make it shorter which shifts the formants. This will allow to use left pitch shifting which can sound chipmunky when pushed too far.

Tsachi 01-06-2016 07:57 AM

https://i.warosu.org/data/tg/img/037...1057273162.jpg

MikeyOSB 01-06-2016 08:31 AM

Use Fl Studio's vocoder and turn that gender knob all the way to the right. And detune, too.

Nystagmus 01-06-2016 06:11 PM

We need to bring back Prince for this (You Got The Look). :D

MikeyOSB 02-06-2016 10:32 PM

Wear really tight underwear and have a bully give you an atomic wedgie.