IDMf - Electronic Music & Production Forum - IDMforums.com

IDMf - Electronic Music & Production Forum - IDMforums.com (http://www.idmforums.com/index.php)
-   Listening Booth (http://www.idmforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   [industrial/synthwave] Cellar Graves - witching hour (http://www.idmforums.com/showthread.php?t=149329)

chasedobson 11-04-2018 07:07 PM

[industrial/synthwave] Cellar Graves - witching hour

Resurrecting Cellar Graves for a debut EP soon. Teaser track - witching hour.

For fans of Skinny Puppy, FLA, John Carpenter, Goblin, and 80's horror film nostalgia.

Plague 12-04-2018 03:47 PM

Re: [industrial/synthwave] Cellar Graves - witching hour

Quote:

Originally Posted by chasedobson (Post 1473717)

Resurrecting Cellar Graves for a debut EP soon. Teaser track - witching hour.

For fans of Skinny Puppy, FLA, John Carpenter, Goblin, and 80's horror film nostalgia.

Wow, cool. Reminds me a little bit of Skinny Puppy's "Testure". But more modern.

chasedobson 12-04-2018 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plague (Post 1473763)
Wow, cool. Reminds me a little bit of Skinny Puppy's "Testure". But more modern.

not ashamed to list SP as a HUGE influence.

Artificer 12-04-2018 08:21 PM

So glad to see you back at this project. The last Cellar Graves stuff you posted was really on point.

This track has a bit of Neon Cities in the feel - I don't know if you finish this after that or not, but the marriage of 80s industrial and new wave/synth sounds great. It sort of mellows out the rough edges of one and adds a bit of menace to the other. Some of the sound design reminds me a bit of Love's Secret Domain-era Coil in places.

As always, the mixing really shines. The heavy but cohesive reverb is a real shining point for me. I'm curious as to what all synths you used. There's some Ensoniq-y sounds in there...

jbvdb493 12-04-2018 10:12 PM

Really digging this!
I listened 3 or 4 times now, and I donít really have any feedback to give. I just really enjoyed this.
Way more my style than the neon cities stuff. Just dark enough!

chasedobson 13-04-2018 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Artificer (Post 1473774)
So glad to see you back at this project. The last Cellar Graves stuff you posted was really on point.

This track has a bit of Neon Cities in the feel - I don't know if you finish this after that or not, but the marriage of 80s industrial and new wave/synth sounds great. It sort of mellows out the rough edges of one and adds a bit of menace to the other. Some of the sound design reminds me a bit of Love's Secret Domain-era Coil in places.

As always, the mixing really shines. The heavy but cohesive reverb is a real shining point for me. I'm curious as to what all synths you used. There's some Ensoniq-y sounds in there...

Ive been using Massive for the digital-y synths (the bell like synth chords) if you put Massive in "economy" mode it has a rough around the edges aliased sort of sound that i like better than it sounding all super hi-fi. The choir stuff is Kontakt, and the arpeggios come from a few different sources, Nordlead2 and a Oberheim OBX emulator VST.

(:

This tune was an attempt to sort of bridge the synth wave stuff w industrial so... you pretty much nailed it.

Thanks for listening!

CustardSquare 22-05-2018 01:43 PM

its familiar and fresh, nailed the atmosphere.