IDMf - Electronic Music & Production Forum - IDMforums.com

IDMf - Electronic Music & Production Forum - IDMforums.com (http://www.idmforums.com/index.php)
-   House / Dubstep (http://www.idmforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   First Dubstep Artist You Heard? (http://www.idmforums.com/showthread.php?t=131434)

1=1? 08-04-2014 06:21 PM

First Dubstep Artist You Heard?

I am definitely behind the curve. I don't claim to be the first to anything (though I discovered trap pretty early on by mistake). i came from a rock background, I've only been into electronic music for 5 years?

Dubstep has gone through a lot of changes, I started getting into it right before it blew up and then changed drastically. I remember going to shows and not knowing what it was except low rumble with creepy atmospheric sounds.

I was wondering where people first picked up on it, that's interesting to me.

The first time I remember hearing it and knowing what it was the artist was bass clef. I had been hearing dubstep style music since I moved to San Francisco and asked my friend what it was called and he said dubstep.

relic 08-04-2014 08:19 PM

Re: First Dubstep Artist You Heard?

The first time I heard Dubstep was at the VIRAM party at WMC in like...2006/7? I think I probably heard it before then, but thought it was some kind of weird DnB.

Mister_Lister 21-04-2014 01:18 AM

I think the first guy I came across was Excision, then naturally I heard about Datsik. I must say though, I think my favourite dubstep songs were those in Spitfire by Porter Robinson.

miikesher 28-04-2014 03:13 PM

Because of how little I knew at the time, Skrillex was probably my first introduction to dubstep. Looking back on it I wouldn't even call it dubstep.

sebastian_g 28-04-2014 03:23 PM

hmmmm,actually it isn't exactly dubstep,but The Algorithm

Nystagmus 28-04-2014 05:21 PM

totally impossible to say. i was listening to a hundreds of artists on DubStep.FM and SubFM internet radio stations. Back in the day, around 2008 they were huge! Also listened to garagepressure on FBi radio Sydney internet radio. They used to play the best dubstep before brostep fell onto the scene and annoyed to heck everybody who wasnt turned on by it.

Kvlt O))) 28-04-2014 09:19 PM

I think it was Tipper's Wobble Factor. Still a good album, imo.

Javaris Jamar 01-05-2014 06:01 AM

Either 16bit's remix of Shallow or Rusko's Pro Nails. I listened to brostep for a while because I thought it was some kind of natural progression even though I knew it sucked. Still listen to JVIZ earthquake weather on dubstep.fm, always some good music.

Lug 01-05-2014 11:03 AM

I was listening to a lot of Tipper, started to look into the people in his Fuel crew, the nu skool breaks stuff which isn't very far from dubstep. First dubstep I ever heard was probably "Bangin" by Si Begg.

Actually, it was probably Subvert's "Speaker Humpin'". And from there followed the path to excision and datsik and all those isolated bangers guys (downlink I remember too). Then broken note. Then didn't care so much
I had listened to Bassnectar's "underground communication" too and never really heard his dubstep stuff

g0lem 01-05-2014 11:38 AM

Walking around Ultra Music Fest in 2006, I stumbled upon bassnectar with a few friends. My jaw just dropped. He was playing Creation Lullaby and I just thought it was amazing, and unlike nothing I had ever heard before. This was in his breakbeat period, when he was doing the amazingly experimental stuff and had just released Mesmerizing the Ultra and Diverse Systems of Throb.

I followed his work closely after seeing that performance.
So whenever the crossed the breakbeat line into dubstep is when I first heard dubstep.

fid 01-05-2014 12:06 PM

this when it came out

Cypherclerk 03-05-2014 06:28 PM

Boxcutter - Oneiric LP

Still one of the best to this day.

maestro_Zach 03-05-2014 07:53 PM

I wasn't a big fan of dubstep but it slowly became a bit appealing after I was surrounded by it from my friends. I still love progressive house but dubstep is okay for me in the right environment=p oh and skrillex i suppose. sorry for the mainstream

g0lem 03-05-2014 09:04 PM

lolhouse.

XanderBlake 05-05-2014 02:58 PM

Sukh Knight, and Chrispy. Don't remember when, long time ago though. I remember hearing Ganja and Diesel not Petrol before dubstep was even a "thing" on youtube. I was like "Woah, hoooo, wait a second. What's that sound?" and thus the love was born. Thank god too, if not for the insane difficulty of some dubstep mixes, my mixing would have stayed at pre-dub level and for me that was just shite.

lebeux 06-06-2014 09:35 AM

I istened to Scorn in the 90's if that counts

If it doesn't, I don't really remember, probably Skream or Digital Mystikz... Really got into it around 2007/08 with stuff like Boxcutter, Distance and Ital Tek.

oh shit blast from the past

namegoeshere 07-06-2014 07:21 PM

I know it's mainstream, but flux pavilion and skrillex

neutral 07-06-2014 09:20 PM

relic 07-06-2014 11:52 PM

King Tubby WUT

fooking old skool SON

TheOfficialHexU 10-06-2014 08:02 PM