IDMf - Electronic Music & Production Forum - IDMforums.com

IDMf - Electronic Music & Production Forum - IDMforums.com (http://www.idmforums.com/index.php)
-   Hardware and Gear (http://www.idmforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=199)
-   -   Ensoniq DP4 (http://www.idmforums.com/showthread.php?t=143488)

chasedobson 26-05-2016 10:21 PM

Ensoniq DP4

Anyone here have any experience with it or am I in the 90 percentile of old fuckers here who are aware of this box?

I've wanted one since the 90's and have a line on one, but am unsure if i am nostalgia-interested or actually wanting this box.

lolirl 27-05-2016 07:11 AM

Re: Ensoniq DP4

Is that the legendary box the 'chre supposedly had modified/circuit bent back in the day?
Sorry can't help you but respect for knowing that synths existed before 2005. :D

chasedobson 27-05-2016 03:48 PM

FX unit. Its the same multi FX algorithms i had in my ASR10 and EPS16+ samplers back in the day.

I remember them being oddly digital sounding in a good way but don't remember if it was that I was simply happy to have a sampler with FX built in back in 1999.

I'll probably pull the trigger. I can always flip it in 6 months if it becomes a paperweight.

chasedobson 27-05-2016 08:14 PM

Secured the unit, will be grabbing it in a couple of weeks after my next short run on tour.

I'll let y'all know if it'll be the next Analog Four, you know, the unit that no one can live without.

RFJ 27-05-2016 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chasedobson (Post 1398193)
I'll let y'all know if it'll be the next Analog Four, you know, the unit that no one can live without.

Sold mine, just sayin'

thom 27-05-2016 11:59 PM

You will love it. Provided that you have a setup that accomodates using conveniently it aka a console... not sure if I`d use external effect boxes if I didnt have a console to ''accomodate'' them.

But yeah the reverbs are super spacey. I`d get one if I had a good deal.

thom 28-05-2016 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chasedobson (Post 1398033)
nostalgia-interested

Nothing wrong with that, btw.

chasedobson 29-05-2016 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thom (Post 1398212)
You will love it. Provided that you have a setup that accomodates using conveniently it aka a console... not sure if I`d use external effect boxes if I didnt have a console to ''accomodate'' them.

But yeah the reverbs are super spacey. I`d get one if I had a good deal.

External FX plug in Ableton and have it set up on an IO of my MOTU.

(:

chasedobson 17-06-2016 03:32 PM

DP/4 en route. I'll have to wait until i get back from Toronto and London to check it out. Been reading up on it and the thing is SUPER midi controllable via CC.

I expect to create some super weirdness w it and Max4Live.

chasedobson 27-06-2016 05:48 PM

this thing is great.

I'm going to have to be careful not to over-use it. The verbs and chorus FX sound a lot like my old Ensoniq EPS16+ sampler's inbuilt fx. It's a very specific thing.

I'll report back once i get a midi controller or midi LFO's mapped to it.

chasedobson 01-07-2016 01:19 PM

God damn this box is awesome.

Something about the AD and DA conversion makes things sound like the 90's, and the ability to have any of the 4 effects blocks be serial, parallel and also feed back into other effects blocks is really pretty sweet.

I've been more or less working on finding its strengths sonically and haven't bothered with MIDI.

instantly love the multi-tap delays, reverse reverbs and pitch shifting for micro shifts and stereo field manipulation.

mnkvolcno 01-07-2016 07:42 PM

If anybody wants a DP2 I have one collecting dust. Cool unit, but my AC doesn't work well enough to cool my studio when I fire up too much hardware.

Automageddon 01-07-2016 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chasedobson (Post 1402091)
DP/4 en route. I'll have to wait until i get back from Toronto and London to check it out. Been reading up on it and the thing is SUPER midi controllable via CC.

I expect to create some super weirdness w it and Max4Live.

If you have some free time in London hit me up

chasedobson 03-07-2016 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Automageddon (Post 1403904)
If you have some free time in London hit me up

Already back to the States. I'll be in touch next time I am across the pond!