IDMf - Electronic Music & Production Forum - IDMforums.com

IDMf - Electronic Music & Production Forum - IDMforums.com (http://www.idmforums.com/index.php)
-   Modular software & programming (http://www.idmforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   Korg MS20 mini (http://www.idmforums.com/showthread.php?t=123502)

Hippot 17-07-2013 04:07 PM

Korg MS20 mini

I know it is technically semi-modular, but I was curious if anyone here has one, and if so, what they thought about it as a synth and modular type system.

relic 17-07-2013 04:14 PM

Re: Korg Ms 20 mini

I forget if any of the local gear heads have one or not. You could check the last few pages in the sticky "The Hardware Thread" in The Studio sub forum.

I'm sure some people will pop here. I'm thinking of getting one myself as I'm wanting to add another analog monosynth to my set up.

The Doepfer Darkenergy II is also modular, you might look into it as well (no keyboard).

Hippot 17-07-2013 05:35 PM

Yeah I have been reading about it and watching videos. Its a cheap entry into the world of modular, and it seems you can integrate independent modules that you may have or get later.

xmissacidx 21-07-2013 07:23 PM

i was thinking of starting off with something like this.

Aphexbeats 24-07-2013 12:39 AM

I want one so bad... I have a thread about this on the Logic forums, but no one really replied. Basically, the mini is the classic ms20, but with usb and midi options\smaller cabling. I highly encourage picking one up if you can in the US, because all of the korgs I see are from Europe, on Ebay. Gosh, I just love the analog warmth of the ms20, the fat basslines, the dials.. it just works - no wonder Korg decided to revamp this beautiful synth.

Barry Acid 24-07-2013 12:48 PM

I'll be getting one at some stage too. Gonna have it shipped from the US. I'm going to see if I can get the sequencer that was made for the original MS20 in '78.

Aphexbeats 26-07-2013 12:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barry Acid (Post 1123301)
I'll be getting one at some stage too. Gonna have it shipped from the US. I'm going to see if I can get the sequencer that was made for the original MS20 in '78.

Are you sure the sequencer will be compatible with it? And how much would this sequencer cost?

Str8Jaketed 26-07-2013 12:41 AM

If it is anything like the original ( which I had) then this will defiantly go on my wishlist for upcoming purchases.85% in size..so the footprint is a bit smaller.Saved desk space :D...

I never had the sequencer wish I did...not sure how many are still floating around anymore and at what cost.

Cheers

D_Davis 26-07-2013 02:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hippot (Post 1120331)
Yeah I have been reading about it and watching videos. Its a cheap entry into the world of modular, and it seems you can integrate independent modules that you may have or get later.

Most modules are v/OCT and the MS20 is hz/OCT, so to integrate you will need a module that converts the one to the other. Those kinds of modules are more readily available now, because of the new MS20's popularity.

Barry Acid 26-07-2013 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aphexbeats (Post 1124011)
Are you sure the sequencer will be compatible with it? And how much would this sequencer cost?

I'm pretty sure it would be if its going top be an exact replica, its hooked up via CV so I'd say it would be fine. The SQ-10 is pretty rare and I've not seen one for sale yet.

Aphexbeats 05-08-2013 03:47 AM

So I've been reading up on the Korg... I've heard that the Korg Legacy is also a good option, and it's cheaper. It's the Ms-20 with other plugins and such, but you control it from your daw. Any thoughts?

Flux302 06-05-2014 12:41 PM

I have one. I did a video comparing it to the ims20 (which is one of my favorite iOS apps.)
I like the ms20 a lot. if you don't have any other analog hardware it probably wouldn't be my first choose (build quality isn't the best and it is a pretty noisy synth, the mini/microbrute has a much more usable tone imho and better build quality)
that being said its pretty versatile with the dual VCO and Dual filters (technically it has 4 filters)

here is the video. (Also I have many videos of analog goodies being used in a DAW/Maschine environment)

[Only registered and activated mad cunts can see links. Click Here To Register...]

Aphexbeats 08-05-2014 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flux302 (Post 1234322)
I have one. I did a video comparing it to the ims20 (which is one of my favorite iOS apps.)
I like the ms20 a lot. if you don't have any other analog hardware it probably wouldn't be my first choose (build quality isn't the best and it is a pretty noisy synth, the mini/microbrute has a much more usable tone imho and better build quality)
that being said its pretty versatile with the dual VCO and Dual filters (technically it has 4 filters)

here is the video. (Also I have many videos of analog goodies being used in a DAW/Maschine environment)

[Only registered and activated mad cunts can see links. Click Here To Register...]

Do you think the minibrute is worth it though? I mean there is only so much you can get out of a mono synth and all.

relic 08-05-2014 02:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aphexbeats (Post 1234881)
Do you think the minibrute is worth it though? I mean there is only so much you can get out of a mono synth and all.

I dunno about the Mini...but the MicroBrute has a surprising amount to offer on it's own. Also consider that in a hybrid setup you can do all kinds of resampling and layering. For 300USD new...the MicroBrute is a no brainer IMO.

Flux302 08-05-2014 02:53 AM

Take a look at the used market. Minibrutes sell for roughly $400 add on a micro and then cv the two together. Very powerful mono synth setup.
Worth every penny:mayonesa:

Aphexbeats 09-05-2014 03:10 AM

$400 is so much... I would love to have a minibrute though, but I'd probably have to sell my other synths to get one. I don't like the fact that the synths are monotimbral though, that's a shame. BTW @[Only registered and activated mad cunts can see links. Click Here To Register...], nice video! Your setup is really nice and you did a good job of comparing the synths in the video. Idk I don't see much point in buying an analog synth right now unless you want to make really good mono bass or noisy sounds. I'd still like to get my hands on a classic juno...

Str8Jaketed 09-05-2014 03:40 AM

If they ever release a mini version of the VC-10,MS-10,SQ-10 then I will jump back in..I do mis my Original MS-20?SQ-10....but I suffice without it for the most part.

Seems only fair the re-release those other items to go along with it.

Jaded 09-05-2014 03:50 AM

Everyone I know who has one raves about it. It's a miniaturisation of the original circuit with the modern bells and whistles thrown in. In a side by side with the original MS-20 I've it was definitely very true to form.

That being said, everyone I know who has one, also has a heap of vintage analogue gear so their feelings for the mini come either from nostalgia or the simple enjoyment of yet another toy. I doubt any of them would be happy if they only had the mini...

Psychotronic 11-05-2014 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaded (Post 1235263)
I doubt any of them would be happy if they only had the mini...

i am... sorry.

theycallmegav 13-07-2014 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hippot (Post 1120331)

true dat! very versatile, was playing on my friends. Im saving up for one now ;)