IDMf - Electronic Music & Production Forum - IDMforums.com

IDMf - Electronic Music & Production Forum - IDMforums.com (http://www.idmforums.com/index.php)
-   The Side Room (http://www.idmforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=89)
-   -   Retro Gaming. (http://www.idmforums.com/showthread.php?t=147066)

Focalized 25-05-2017 09:40 AM

Retro Gaming.

My NES still works most the time. Have about 30 games. Most are recently bought games of those I once had.

I have a working SNES and 20 games.

I have no recognition of what happened to my Gameboy. Really pissed about that.

My Game Gear won't function.

My ColecoVision probably still works.

Playstation 1 and 2.

Never went beyond those.

I once found it really amazing to have all those old games on ROMS for a PC and more amazing this... how can you every have the time to play basically, everything?

Numerical 25-05-2017 06:45 PM

Re: Retro Gaming.

I'm into SNES. Haven't messed with anything like this recently though. I just use the emulators and a PC controller. Seems to work well. I think Super Metroid is probably my all time fave for that system. Super Mario World is great, even for being a kiddie game. Alot of the old JRPGs are awesome, Breath of Fire and Chrono Trigger.

Vault O))) 26-05-2017 01:54 AM

I'm a dirty abandonware whore and EMU hoarder. DOS, N64 & PSX 4 lyfe

There's literally no time to play them all, so you have to stick to your favorites / classics. Most NES and SNES platformers are way too hard for me, but for some reason SGEN is another story. I can kill a lot of time failing in Flashback or Out Of This World

At least we have save states now for the real old consoles. That helps.

Nostalgia flood, right there

Artificer 26-05-2017 02:15 AM

I have a couple of working Atari 2600s. Played a few rounds of Combat with the wife the other day. One of the joysticks is getting a bit worn but otherwise it's in good health.

Considering getting an old Galaga machine for the parlor.

Vault O))) 26-05-2017 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Artificer (Post 1446473)
I have a couple of working Atari 2600s. Played a few rounds of Combat with the wife the other day. One of the joysticks is getting a bit worn but otherwise it's in good health.

God, you just reminded me of a time (before I was born, TBH) when technology actually lasted

Focalized 27-05-2017 09:56 AM

Forgot our Apple IIe. Remember some fun games on there. Ghostbusters was very playable compare to the NES version. Oregon Trail. I remember some interesting flight combat game. And this really fun word game that involved underwater exploration, or just a submarine.

If I still had it now I'd probably have to Google how to load the software.

Trying to play Ninja Gaiden and thinking games like this have contributed to my generations heightened anxiety levels balanced to with our unique learning skills.

Focalized 27-05-2017 10:14 AM

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...screenshot.png

http://www.myabandonware.com/media/s...on-trail_1.gif

Vault O))) 27-05-2017 03:25 PM

White Noise 27-05-2017 04:33 PM

Is the Dreamcast retro yet, or is it just really late model? I keep it around for Daytona USA and a couple really cool parts in Sonic Adventure that I use to show my friends sonic CAN work in 3d.

Ironically, my PS3 is kind of the most retro console I have because I have a bunch of classic downloads and Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection on there (which I usually play Streets of Rage or Golden Axe on?). I've got a ps2, but all my best ps2 games are ps3 downloads except for the older Burnout titles and Gran Turismo 4.

Focalized 28-05-2017 02:24 AM

I just learned my Gameboy Advanced is backward compatible.
:facepalm:

Vault O))) 28-05-2017 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Focalized (Post 1446692)
I just learned my Gameboy Advanced is backward compatible.
:facepalm:

I just found out my DS can load games. I thought it was just an Acekard slot :problemofficer:

Pretty sure I shat some weird colors when I found out my Wii could play GC games, though. I'm not normally a big fan of Nintendo, but they have some cool tricks up their sleeve

dada_davros 28-05-2017 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Artificer (Post 1446473)

Considering getting an old Galaga machine for the parlor.

Simulated woodgrain finsh or all black? Atari 2600's are the best looking old consoles imo, so sexy. I have a working SNES and a DOS emulator for those MSDOS classics in full 16 color amazing VGA quality (or lower)

Artificer 28-05-2017 02:32 PM

They're both wood grain, original six switch units. One is from Christmas of '81, the second one was later, probably '82-'83. They certainly have that strikingly '70s look to them. I agree they look great!

hendu12 11-07-2017 06:32 AM

I want to get into Retro Gaming. I've only played Mario and Zelda from the pre- Nintendo 64 era of gaming. I hacked my Wii about 6 months ago and turned it into a retro gaming hub. I have thousands of games on it now that I don't know if I'll ever play :P

_nanonoise_ 11-07-2017 11:20 AM

aah good old days. I had a game boy. Games I remember: Donkey kong country, super mario land I/II/III(warioland), warioland II, pokemon blue, rampage,
my neighbour had a PS1, I played a lot of tomb raider, crash bandicoot and spyro as a kid :p

qantuum 29-07-2017 01:32 PM

The best game I have ever completed is Secret of Mana (Seiken Densetsu 2) on SNES.

I think this game also contributed a lot in my music culture and the fact I worship good music composers

relic 29-07-2017 03:56 PM

I bought an adapter to hook up my N64 to our HDMI only flat screen. Looking forward to some drunken Golden Eye and Mario Cart tourneys after the weather changes in the winter.

About once every three or four years I download a Sega Genesis emu so I can play Shining Force II, one of my favorite RPGs ever : )

Bluesh1ft 31-07-2017 04:10 AM

On my list of things to do, I want to create an arcade cabinet that can play anything from atari to n64. Some day.... some day .....

Optimal Prime 04-08-2017 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by White Noise (Post 1446646)
Is the Dreamcast retro yet, or is it just really late model? I keep it around for Daytona USA and a couple really cool parts in Sonic Adventure that I use to show my friends sonic CAN work in 3d.

Ironically, my PS3 is kind of the most retro console I have because I have a bunch of classic downloads and Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection on there (which I usually play Streets of Rage or Golden Axe on?). I've got a ps2, but all my best ps2 games are ps3 downloads except for the older Burnout titles and Gran Turismo 4.

I find it crazy how with the PS3 you have lots of scope to play and buy classic titles from the PS1 and PS2 on the store of course with existing PS3 titles, yet on the PS4 you have access to none of this aside from specially ported titles.

Regarding the SNES, I greq up on one of those and loved it as I have some Wildcard thing that took floppy disks and allowed me to basically play many pirated titles, which back then was quite something due to the sheer cost of the cartridges. It was a bonus that this included many imported titles as the UK got shafted with quite a lot of good stuff especially RPG wise, however there were a lot I didn't get chance to try.

I've since ordered that new Illusive SNES Mini that's impossible to get hold of yet still not out for a while. It was a bit of an impulse purchase but I'm hoping to really use the fact that you are limited to 21 good quality games as a way to really return back and try to spend time with them. I haven't played the likes of Zelda or Super Metroid on Snes since the mid 90's.

Finally, as far as arcade games go, I happen to live in the best area for arcades, being 20 minutes away on a bus outside my house to the biggest arcade place in europe called Arcade Club. It's amazing. I'm actually possibly going back tomorrow. :badger:

mnkvolcno 04-08-2017 03:07 AM

If you're into retro style gaming, you have to check out 'hyper light drifter'... that game is a work of art.