IDMf - Electronic Music & Production Forum - IDMforums.com

IDMf - Electronic Music & Production Forum - IDMforums.com (http://www.idmforums.com/index.php)
-   Quarterly Album Writing Month (QAWM) (http://www.idmforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=200)
-   -   QAWM 2015 (http://www.idmforums.com/showthread.php?t=137026)

lolirl 21-01-2015 10:56 AM

QAWM 2015

OK so I've had a little bit of interest in this already so I just thought I'd put this reminder thread up.
QAWM is not dead yet.

Instead of starting new threads for each quarter, this year the thread will run all year and I'll just rename it as and when and edit important announcements into the OP to try to keep as many people subscribed and interested as possible.

Any thoughts?
Do you guys want more rules or themes or anything for inspiration?
Should we try something a bit different?
Let me know what you think.

Kvlt O))) 21-01-2015 11:12 AM

Re: QAWM 2015

QAWM 'til death freezes over

JMagee 21-01-2015 03:43 PM

I'm down with they way we've been working. We've already got too many rules; we shouldn't have to muck up the waters much more.

JMagee 23-01-2015 06:48 PM

So I've got to throw out that I've been slacking on QAWM. I had a successful NAWM but it doesn't mean shit if I don't post what I did, right? I still have to record some of the parts - it all exists in hardware land at the moment - but they're there. Luckily though the hardware is giving me more useable results in faster amount of time although there's a lot of process. I've been moving on to just writing the next tune opposed to feeling like I need to dick with it more like I do with the DAW, just have to find time for a tracking day. I end up then only worrying about a mix and I leave sound design at the start of the process and this whole method forces me to give up on sound design while composing for the most part at least.

Otherwise I've started the great sampling of my Roland R8M, I'm getting multi-samples of every sound on there. Roland made the R8M with this "nuance" feature that changes some basic, what you believe should be modifiable, aspect of the sound since there aren't any filter, modulators, etc. Just decay and this nuance feature. So I've been cranking out the delay and recording each different nuance value so I've got the max length of the sound and all of it's timbres because my MPC has envelopes in it for days, I just need the sound. Either way, so many samples! And getting some rad kits going.

BALLZ! 26-01-2015 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMagee (Post 1308074)
too many rules

What are the rules, exactly?

JMagee 26-01-2015 10:36 PM

Use the quarter to write as much music as you can. Ideally you just write in February, use your downtime between quarters to gather ideas, take care of samples, get a new piece of gear. Whatever happens happens.

Also look at the title of this whole deal - Quarterly Album Writing Month; think of what the LP did for modern music. We're talking more than another banger or one-off; it's about developing a longer, more involved work. But it's really just about saying "I'm going to make this," setting goals for yourself, and sharing your material with people who share a similar mentality.

BALLZ! 27-01-2015 10:35 AM

Ok.

I've been struggling with inspiration for a while, but I'd LIKE to contribute.

JMagee 02-02-2015 05:55 PM

So I've been thinking about what to do for QAWM. It might be bigger than QAWM but I need something to light a fire under my ass. I've been thinking about building a group with electronics but I also want it to sound like a band. I've been thinking about ways to create visuals for this whole thing as well; it needs to be an all immersive experience.

I've been thinking about ways to create jams that are sequenced but can also be loose - bands turn on a dime - so how to get that looseness yet with obviously quantized/synthesized/sequenced parts. At the moment in terms of personnel and instrumentation I have myself playing some bass guitar, a drummer, a keyboard player, and guitars with doubling on Tenor Sax and another double decks. I'm leaving my upright at home in favor of free hands and being free of feedback but I'll survive. I've been thinking light percussion sounds (going to try and stay away from drum kits since there'll be a drummer) and to sequence pads with the Blofeld. Essentially just try and create a blueprint for improvisation out of the sequences.

But I guess here's the question I don't really know yet - should the music be written with visuals in mind? And what's the best way to go about it? I noticed Critter&Guitari makes some neat little video synths and of course I'm aware of video mixers but I really have no idea how to go about it. It seems like the video can influence the music but it could get weird. Is there decent software available for this sort of thing?

bbb 02-02-2015 07:11 PM

No idea about the software to use for simultaneously making tunes and video, but I'm thinking you could pre-render some video clips to work with bpms you may work with. Then edit the video to more closely fit after you arrange everything fully.

I should have time to QAWM this month since the ole lady is going to be working a lot after her main job. Been fooling around with some ideas with no expectations, as I just haven't had the time lately.

JMagee 03-02-2015 05:11 PM

Hype to know someone else is on board this month. We'll be crackin'

Yeah, as of right now just gathering some video clips and being able to modify seems like the best approach at the moment. I've also been checking out Critter&Guitari's little video synth boxers because video switcher/mixers don't cost nearly as much as they did 3 years back.

I'll come up with a game plan and report back.

bbb 03-02-2015 10:16 PM

That's neat

Garruden 11-02-2015 08:11 AM

Something like this?

(Tried to post link, but not enough forum posts yet..)

Vessels - Blue Clouds on Youtube

JMagee 11-02-2015 07:27 PM

I don't know, it might end up sounding kind of like that. We wrote some really silly lyrics for some chords and stuff I came up with and if I can get a chart finished up between now and the end of the month we'll record it silly lyrics and all. Started on another tune though that seems to have promise and we're supposed to be bringing some other cats.

Maybe QAWM will turn in "build-a-band" month for me.

JMagee 18-02-2015 09:17 PM

Wrote a verse and chorus for an actual song, one that might feature my voice. Now I just have to lay down these harmonies......

Haven't tried writing a song since I was thirteen or fourteen...just didn't think I had it in me once I got "serious" about my playing, that there were others that would do it better. Either way, uncharted territory.

JMagee 28-02-2015 02:20 AM

So not a whole lot of progress made towards an album and I still need to actually record stuff from the last go but I think I'm on to something in regards to a sound. I don't know, want to start a band and write songs - have something a lot of people identify with. But here's the track. Still have to record the other verses and at least copy and paste a chorus but part of me is just about to get this dude in the MPC and start writing more and then actually record stuff. This version is pretty shit quality - just straight out the MPC and record hit + normalization with the listenback on a pretty shitty home stereo.

[Only registered and activated mad cunts can see links. Click Here To Register...]

JMagee 23-03-2015 03:29 PM

Hope everyone's doing well. The next QAWM would be May but I'm going to have to get a headstart on everything since my girlfriend is going to Nepal for 3 weeks and there's going to be a good copious amount of down time.

I've had this idea for, at the moment, a one man G-Funk act. Just my electric bass with MPC 1000 + Blofeld for my drums and general synthesis. I need to get some good vocal bits going but if need be I'll just get a VT-3 and start getting weird but hopefully some other stuff gets started.

I guess I'm ripping of Jackson and his Computer Band but I'm thinking about calling this project Albert Hoffman and his Psychedelic Space Orchestra. I have a combo that goes by the Hoffman Sextet and I'm thinking naming this the Albert Hoffman and his Psychedelic Space Orchestra because the orchestra I play with (Paducah Symphony Orchestra) abbreviates PSO so to bill a show in my town as Albert Hoffman and the PSO would be hysterical to me.

I'll get really high and continue to think about this and how this whole thing might play out...

A.M 23-03-2015 05:48 PM

Just subscribing to the thread. ;)

JMagee 25-05-2015 04:30 PM

[MAWM] Doesn't seem to be too hype. I won't lie, I dropped the ball. I'm going to be working on something new this summer though since all my gear is back home. The studio spot I had going kind of just fizzled out but I believe it's all for the best. Either way I have a shit ton of gear staring me down begging for a track to be made.

Kvlt O))) 25-05-2015 04:36 PM

It's a shame how everyone has collectively given up. RIP QAWM

A.M 25-05-2015 06:35 PM

When would the next deadline be if peeps jump back onto this?

Kvlt O))) 25-05-2015 08:56 PM

I vote for JAWM, either June or July.

In a perfect world, this would be a monthly thing that we all did whenever we had a less-busy month in our lives, but I don't know if there are that many QAWMers left as it is.

Also, is LOLIRL gone for life? I hope to fuck not

A.M 25-05-2015 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kvlt O))) (Post 1336650)
I vote for JAWM, either June or July.

In a perfect world, this would be a monthly thing that we all did whenever we had a less-busy month in our lives, but I don't know if there are that many QAWMers left as it is.

Also, is LOLIRL gone for life? I hope to fuck not

Yeah..know what you mean..and, no, L's still around..sure I saw him in here earlier..or was that yesterday..not sure. Guess he's busy offline with work, holidays and general stuff..that time of year, I guess. ;)

JMagee 25-05-2015 09:45 PM

Well even if @[Only registered and activated mad cunts can see links. Click Here To Register...] ain't around at the moment lets just do the JJAWM, the double month thing! Twice as much material required! Not really, just twice the guilt about not posting/doing anything.

A.M 01-06-2015 02:54 PM

OK, guys and girls..it's the 1st of June..so whose with me in this? ;)

I'm going to give this one a try..nothing like the hectic / frantic pace I've exhibited in the past..don't even know if I'll get this one finished, but I'm up for giving it a go. I'm going to start work on it in an hour or so.

One thing I think we need to go back to is posting either daily or weekly updates for everyone to see how we are getting on..and for all of us to make the effort to leave feedback on those updates..after all, this is a team thing and we need to support each other through this..otherwise we could just go off and do this outside of the group by ourselves.

SO..can we have a head count as to who IS going to do this and then let's get going with it? :badger:

JMagee 02-06-2015 02:15 PM

I'm right there with you!

Automageddon 02-06-2015 02:25 PM

I'm going on holiday tomorrow and I'm working on a project, no game this time around

A.M 02-06-2015 02:40 PM

@ JM: Nice one! That makes two of us anyway, for now..hopefully more will be able to take part. In the meantime we'll just have to get on with it ourselves. :)

@ Auto: Now worries, man..thanks for letting us know anyway. Have a good one..and don't work too hard. :D

JMagee 02-06-2015 03:53 PM

@[Only registered and activated mad cunts can see links. Click Here To Register...] Enjoy that Vacay! It's well deserved. I just got done playing a Bluegrass festival in Indiana so that was vacation for me. Plus I heard so many fiddle tunes that it's probably electronic music only for the next several weeks.

JMagee 04-06-2015 01:26 AM

So far, this is what I've got.

Lots of CR-78 samples, random other samples I've made, a handful I've dug. Making samples like whoa. Must use vocals, lots of vocals....my vocals. It's on. Only using patches I've made in the Blofeld. Oh yeah, I'm primarily using hardware - TX81Z, R8M samples, Blofeld, MPC1000, VoiceLive Touch 2, and my LittleBits creations must make an appearance as well.

If I finish two or three tracks and get them posted in time I'll be happy.

A.M 04-06-2015 11:31 AM

Same here..I'm not really that interested in how much I produce for this..more a case of focusing on the quality of sound this time round. I feel like I've reached one of those fabled plateaus, where you feel like your work needs to be brought up a level from where it currently stands, though you may not know exactly just how to do that.

I guess this is going to be a bit of a learning experience for me in a very real way, as I know the kind of sound I'm aiming for, but I'm not too sure of how to get it..so it will be a case of trial and error for the next month or so. :rolleyes:

As for the style..it's obviously going to be ambient in nature, though I intend playing with different styles in that department, too. Got one rough first track done so far..not finished by any standards, but like I said, it's all about the sound this time round for me. Anyway, here's the benchmark track, as I call it..nothing groundbreaking or impressive, just a snapshot of what comes out of a standard first, fast mix..

[Only registered and activated mad cunts can see links. Click Here To Register...]

From here on I'll be attempting to build on the sound and production quality, and hopefully there will be a marked improvement by the time we finish this challenge. Well, that's the plan anyway. :D

JMagee 04-06-2015 04:29 PM

Shit! I should post the rough deal I bounced out last night. I have recently moved all my gear home from a studio spot I was trying to get going with a friend. After a year of an extremely haphazard work schedule I'm back to having my gear in front of me. Monitoring all my gear through the Saffire 40 and I finally realized why the loopback function is awesome - you can print your monitor mix. So I can get ghetto mixes just from playback!

I feel you on the refining a sound tip - I'm in a similar situation. I'm trying to get at something more signature while being unique. Pretty cliche, eh? But here at the house I have my TEAC 3340 so we'll see what tape does to this whole situation.

A.M 04-06-2015 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMagee (Post 1338249)
Shit! I should post the rough deal I bounced out last night. I have recently moved all my gear home from a studio spot I was trying to get going with a friend. After a year of an extremely haphazard work schedule I'm back to having my gear in front of me. Monitoring all my gear through the Saffire 40 and I finally realized why the loopback function is awesome - you can print your monitor mix. So I can get ghetto mixes just from playback!

I feel you on the refining a sound tip - I'm in a similar situation. I'm trying to get at something more signature while being unique. Pretty cliche, eh? But here at the house I have my TEAC 3340 so we'll see what tape does to this whole situation.

Nah..I don't think it's cliché at all..also not always that easy to achieve either..unfortunately :rolleyes:.

It's a bit of a thin line trying to hammer down your own sound, as there will always be the obvious musical influences you've been exposed to over the years..as well as the down-right "I wish I could sound like so-and-so" phases some of us tend to go through..and, even though you can come away from them having learned a few useful things, in the end I, personally, tend to end up with a bit of a hollow feeling inside, knowing I can replicate something pretty near to the original, but it's still not "my" sound.

The trouble with me is I've always wanted to do "Vangelis" style stuff..but in order to do that, you tend to need to fall back on certain sounds and synths, which the guy has made his own..so no matter what your finished track sounds like, it's always going to remind others of his stuff.

While that's not totally a bad thing, it's not really all that helpful if you want to develop your own style of sound..and that's what I'm currently faced with..tweaking what I do now enough so that it sounds more original and less of an imitation of..or tribute to..the work of somebody else.

Tbh, I'm not really sure about how to go about approaching this, apart from simple trial and error. :)

JMagee 04-06-2015 07:41 PM

Amen to that @[Only registered and activated mad cunts can see links. Click Here To Register...]

I know that since started only using patches in my synths that I've made I've gotten to sounds that I just identify with more out the gate; a lot less preset tweaking and whole lot more preset making. Also only using sounds that I've sampled. Most of my samples (even if I pull out the soft-sampler) are recorded through the MPC1000. I love the 1000 for sampling sources because I get a clean sound and the preamp is in stereo. I don't know of any interfaces with pres that will give a stereo setup....so the MPC1000 is kind of fool proof in that regard.

But then mixing, there's a completely other way to shape your sounds. But we'll be posting our explorations together!

relic 09-06-2015 03:49 PM

I'm thinking of jumping back on this horse.

I've again become tired of the endless tweaking. Thinking perhaps this is a good excuse to leave things with some frayed edges.

Muse-ic 09-06-2015 05:53 PM

I'm in. So excited to have the summer off and able to focus on music. I have an interface/cable/monitor issue. Only one side is working. After my class today I am stopping at Guitar Center to see if they can check it out for me. Hopefully I will be up and running this evening. First remix for Vlantis and then I will work on some tracks for QAWM.

relic 09-06-2015 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muse-ic (Post 1339038)
I'm in. So excited to have the summer off and able to focus on music. I have an interface/cable/monitor issue. Only one side is working. After my class today I am stopping at Guitar Center to see if they can check it out for me. Hopefully I will be up and running this evening. First remix for Vlantis and then I will work on some tracks for QAWM.

If it were me I'd do some checks myself before I went to a big box store for help. Have you tried swapping just the speakers? Just the cables? That would tell you pretty quick where your problem is.

At the least I'd ask them if you are going to be charged for anything before you hand over your gear.

JMagee 10-06-2015 02:43 PM

I'm on the other end of the spectrum, @[Only registered and activated mad cunts can see links. Click Here To Register...] - I just got an Octopre so 8 more channels for me!

Oh yeah, and all my outputs still work....

hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate hate

JK BRUH. But I did get an Octopre.

A.M 10-06-2015 04:04 PM

So how are we running this, guys? How often should we post updated files for review..or are we just going to post updates here for the duration of this challenge and then post the finished tracks at the end?

Just asking as I'm not too sure on how we're doing it this time round?

Or do we even need to structure it like that?

Any thoughts? :)

A.M 10-06-2015 04:23 PM

Personally, I haven't done as much as I had hoped I would have by now. I've got a few tracks sketched out and I'm pretty sure I'll have a full album's worth by the time we finish, but for the last few days my time has been taken up with overhauling my system, trying to free up space..both physically and virtually..for the KOMPLETE KONTROL S61 and KOMPLETE 10 ULTIMATE that are due to arrive any day..and it's a real bloody nightmare!

Here's a quick screen-grab of the VSTs I currently have installed..

Yeah..I know..it's too many and I never use most of them. I REALLY have to get into the habit of uninstalling shit once I've checked it out an know I'm not going to use it again.

Anyways..that's where my head is at right now..stuff just needs to be done..but man, it's SO boring!

By the way, for the record, if you have "A-Kit" from Beat Assist installed and are thinking of removing it..be careful! I used Revo Uninstaller to remove it and it asked me if I wanted to delete every other VST I had installed. I've never run into this before..and, in all honesty, I don't know if it was the fault of A-Kit..but I just thought I'd mention it, as I very nearly wiped every VST off my system. :rolleyes:

relic 10-06-2015 04:37 PM

^That's wild dude! I usually don't uninstall VSTs. FL Studio allows you to choose which ones pop up in the menu, so I just keep that pretty spartan these days, but keep everything installed in case I want it.

I'm good with a double-JAWM honestly if the album writing month project really just because something like a motivational group through the better part of the year that would be cool with me.

So far this summer I've been super guilty of wasting days getting up super late (noon), putting around the house doing enough little chores not to get yelled at and watching netflix on the iPad while I surf the net on my laptop waiting for an early cocktail hour. Rather pathetic really.

A.M 10-06-2015 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by relic (Post 1339179)
^That's wild dude! I usually don't uninstall VSTs. FL Studio allows you to choose which ones pop up in the menu, so I just keep that pretty spartan these days, but keep everything installed in case I want it.

I'm good with a double-JAWM honestly if the album writing month project really just because something like a motivational group through the better part of the year that would be cool with me.

So far this summer I've been super guilty of wasting days getting up super late (noon), putting around the house doing enough little chores not to get yelled at and watching netflix on the iPad while I surf the net on my laptop waiting for an early cocktail hour. Rather pathetic really.

Man, you're living my life..totally! Well, aside from the Netflix bit and the early cocktail hour thing..but other than that it's the same here. (Substitute making music or playing with sounds in there for Nexflix and Cocktails. :D)

relic 10-06-2015 05:54 PM

well. I am working soul crushing retail almost full time. but that describes my days off lol

A.M 10-06-2015 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by relic (Post 1339202)
well. I am working soul crushing retail almost full time. but that describes my days off lol

Ah..yeah..I forgot about that little detail.

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/...89/977/ab2.gif

relic 10-06-2015 06:15 PM

haha no worries...I have the house to myself this weekend so...gonna cut some bangers

JMagee 11-06-2015 02:10 PM

I'm running back and forth between my home of Paducah, KY and Carbondale, IL to do this Southern Illinois Music Festival. It's an orchestra festival so it's all classical music (go ahead and put your does back in their hiding places) but I'm driving an hour+ commute this week while staying certain nights. Not the most productive but I am playing something that I've never played before and is essentially a premier - Lionel Semiatin's American Symphony. Talk about some balls to the wall stuff going on. But with all the driving and how much I make per service.... well the paycheck is going to suck. Oh yeah, it's going to take a month to get it.....

Guess I shouldn't complain that I'm driving to play music. It's way better than retail, but I'm going to be broke so bitch, bitch, bitch, and bitch. Gainfully employed and miserable or kind of employed and happy? I tend to take the latter.

Either way I recorded some MIDI up into the MPC1000.....the first half of one my tunes is done so I got the drums recorded in. Hopefully next week I'll get stuff wrapped up but I've got to record vocals and that's always "a thing." But with getting around I figured I could at least take the MPC with me so I could trim samples I recorded and finish tweaking the envelopes/sound of my drums.

Also, am I weird if I don't want to share my drafts? I don't know, there'll be loads of shitty bounces so I'd rather just share the ones that don't sound like shit. Next week will be my first multi-tracking experience with my new Octopre as well....

A.M 11-06-2015 03:00 PM

^That sound cool, J..at least you're kept busy, which is a good thing I guess..though not great if you want to time to just be creative. Still, it must be one hell of a buzz getting up there and doing your thing..classical or not. :badamtoosh: (Sorry..this is the only one that seems to fit. Was going to use the dancing badger, but it just didn't seem right.)

Also..I think I'm with you regarding hanging on until the end before we post stuff up. We've got until the end of July to get this done, so there should be plenty of time..even with some taking holidays and the likes.

So far..I make it me..you..Muse..Relic..and possibly Kvlt..4 defs and one poss..hopefully more. :D

relic 11-06-2015 03:38 PM

Yea. Personally, it doesn't matter to me how people do things. I'm likely going to be posting things as I go. I'm pretty set on mixing OTB and recording a single stereo take of things. I might chop and edit a bit in my DAW, but I'm going to go pretty old school on this one.

I've already run out of outs for my setup if I want to use any aux sends at all. Or I might record more instruments in mono. I was briefly contemplating using this old Berhinger mixer I have kicking around as it has far my options than my SoundCraft, but that seems like a shifty proposition...I don't recall how noisy it is...

JMagee 11-06-2015 05:23 PM

Man, why would you not use the Soundcraft? Those desks sound pretty awesome typically.

Btw, SOUNDCRAFT BROUGHT BACK THE 16FX, MKII VERSION. That's right, their little 16 channel monster with direct outs and Lexicon efx. Maybe it never went away but it's back in the Sweetwater catalog.

relic 11-06-2015 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMagee (Post 1339325)
Man, why would you not use the Soundcraft? Those desks sound pretty awesome typically.

Btw, SOUNDCRAFT BROUGHT BACK THE 16FX, MKII VERSION. That's right, their little 16 channel monster with direct outs and Lexicon efx. Maybe it never went away but it's back in the Sweetwater catalog.

Well that decides it. I may just record more things in mono to get more inputs.

I'll have to check that out...I'm wanting to upgrade my mixer as soon as I can.

relic 13-06-2015 05:22 AM

Going to record my first jam tomorrow. Got some shit going...all hardware...gonna just record the 2bus off my mixer...if I can figure out how to record cassette and digital at the same time...I'm going to do that just to be a nerd/hipster.