IDMf - Electronic Music & Production Forum - IDMforums.com

IDMf - Electronic Music & Production Forum - IDMforums.com (http://www.idmforums.com/index.php)
-   Modular software & programming (http://www.idmforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   Synthmaster 2.6 (http://www.idmforums.com/showthread.php?t=139676)

Opium 22-07-2015 08:17 PM

Synthmaster 2.6

Hey guys !
I haven't seen any topic to discuss about Synthmaster, which quites surprises me as it's a very, very powerful synth. So here it is.

[Only registered and activated mad cunts can see links. Click Here To Register...]

It might sound a bit silly, but I truly believe that this might be the new Zebra. It's pretty versatile, allows to do pretty much any type of synthesis : VA, Additive (Razor/Harmor), Wavetable (Serum/Codex), Wavescanning (like in Zebra), Phase Modulation, Frequency Modulation (FM8), Pulse Width Modulation, Ring Modulation, Amplitude Modulation, Physical Modeling and SFZ Sample Playback.

I think it's truly one of the most powerful stuff hardware. It's currently part of my 5 synths armada composed of Serum, FM8, NI's Reaktor Ensemble (Rounds, Spark, Prism, Razor & Kontour) & Zebra.

To me it's also the best alternative if you can't afford Omnisphere (anyway, for me Omnisphere is too heavy, and I feel lost in it, which doesn't make me feel comfortable at all).

THE COOL STUFF !
1700 Factory presets : I'm not that much into presets, but some time it's cool to navigate through it and start to modulate from a preset. Synthmaster's are not the best in my opinion (if you compare it to the awesome stuff available in Serum or Omnisphere), but some are quite cool and allow to see how stuff work.

Semi-Modular Architecture: Well... Synthmaster guys explain it better than the little frenchie that I am : For each SynthMaster instance, there are 2 layers followed by 2 global effect send busses. Each layer has its own: Arpeggiator, 2 Oscillators, 4 Modulators, 2 Filters, 4 ADSR Envelopes, 2 Multistage Envelopes, 2 2D Envelopes, 2 LFOs and 4 Keyscalers. The modulators can modulate frequency, phase, amplitude or pulse width of the oscillators or any other modulators at audio rate.

It's indcredibly versatile (not Serum yet, but better than Massive) : 650 modulation targets and 95 modulation sources. I guess that you can spend a lifetime on it.

8 macro control (well like in Massive) BUT some awesome XY Pads that allow to modulate any modulation targets. The power in it belongs into simplicity. Using these two XY pads allow you to modulate the patches very easily, and when you have an idea and need to go straight to it, it's making an awesome work.

A shitload of filters : Analog, Digital, Multimode, Dual, Comb & Before/Inside/After Filter Distortion.

A shitload of FX :
Distortion, LoFi, Ensemble, Phaser, 6 Band EQ, Compressor, Vocoder, Delay, Chorus, Tremolo, Reverb.

And also : detune spread, microtuning, online preset browser, etc...

I don't really see anything that Syntmaster can't do. It's overpasses any synth on the Market (except maybe drawing with Zebra HZ and Serum, I don't compare with Omnisphere because they are for very different purposes I think). I always had issues with Zebra interface too (though I love using it because of the matrix), but Synthmaster looks cool and pretty intuitive.

The best thing though is its price. Zebra HZ costs 300$, Massive is 220$, Omnisphere is 500$ (arrghhh), Serum is 190$.
Well SM comes at 130$.

Used alone, it's a killer, if I had to grab only one and only virtual instrument, it would be this one.
Used with some others awesome instruments such as Serum or the Kontakt Squad, I don't even know what it couldn't do.

I'd be glad to discuss about this synth with you, so don't hesitate to respond :)

mnkvolcno 23-07-2015 04:22 PM

Re: Synthmaster 2.6

It's one of my favorites too.

Zebra is more powerful overall, mainly due to the "oscillator effects", but there's something about the sound of synthmaster that I prefer. Zebra (serum too) both have a very sterile sound to me. Synthmaster has a lot of presence that I like.

The interface is a little weird, but one thing I realized recently is that you can right click a parameter and assign a mod source to it right there, which is handy.

The effects are very good quality as well. And I also really like the way the unison works/sounds.

Definitely one of the best soft synths. If I could chose only one it might be this one.

Creepr 01-08-2015 08:15 AM

I too am learning to love this synth. I do not have a ton of software, as I am just getting started, and SM looked like such a great learning tool at such a great price. I got it on sale with 4 preset packs for something like 75Euro.
I originally got it based on great reviews, and so that I can try out so many kinds of synthesis, esp before i drop a few hundred on something more specialized. Since thrn my view has changed from "good beginner synth" to "go-to synth" for almost everything.
I would mention over what you said earlier that the arp/sequencer is really versatile and the fact that you can import your own sounds is useful. The live audio feed sounds really cool too, but I have not tried it.

Opium 01-08-2015 10:36 AM

@[Only registered and activated mad cunts can see links. Click Here To Register...] : Well I think that there are more possibilities in Zebra, but in terms of UI it's kinda restricting me as it's hard for me to go through.
I had the same issue with Fabfilter Twin 2, I tried it on a friend of mine's computer, and I think it's totally awesome to create pad things, but the UI is absolutly not attractive.

I love the fact that Synthmaster provides you pretty much everything is designed in a very intelligent way and is really easy to navigate through.
@[Only registered and activated mad cunts can see links. Click Here To Register...] : I got it at a discount price to, it was around 70 if I remember well. That left me a bit of money to buy Serum & Iris 2 as well. And I must say that these 3 together (alongside with my good old DCAM Synthsquad), allowed me to have a pretty wonderful armada for less than 300. Which is IMO, less than Omnisphere 2 for way more features and possibilities (aaand a better UI as O2 looks like 2001 to me).
Btw, Synthmaster is way more than a beginner Synth. It's probably one of the best to begin (although Massive has pretty strong argument for learning too), but it has a lot of advanced features, and yes, the arpegiator is over the mass.

mnkvolcno 01-08-2015 04:35 PM

2.7 is supposed to be out today.. Not seeing it on the site though :/

Creepr 01-08-2015 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnkvolcno (Post 1347126)
2.7 is supposed to be out today.. Not seeing it on the site though :/

Ah snap, it is the first today... better keepnrefreshing the page, it should turn up soon. :mayonesa:

EDIT: FB says 2.7 will be out on the 3rd...

Opium 01-08-2015 08:53 PM

At this rate of development Synthmaster 3 will be there by the end of the year !

New features will expend the versatility even more : AH2DS2R Envelope, Custom LFO Waveform, Analog osc similar to Juno 106 / Alesis Andromeda / SH101.

Will be pretty nasty !

mnkvolcno 01-08-2015 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Opium (Post 1347163)
At this rate of development Synthmaster 3 will be there by the end of the year !

New features will expend the versatility even more : AH2DS2R Envelope, Custom LFO Waveform, Analog osc similar to Juno 106 / Alesis Andromeda / SH101.

Will be pretty nasty !

where did you hear about that?