IDMf - Electronic Music & Production Forum - IDMforums.com

IDMf - Electronic Music & Production Forum - IDMforums.com (http://www.idmforums.com/index.php)
-   House / Dubstep (http://www.idmforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=86)
-   -   A question about genres (http://www.idmforums.com/showthread.php?t=136489)

realdeephouse 21-12-2014 10:32 AM

A question about genres

A question about GENREs Im hoping an experienced member of these forums can give me some guidance, I'm having a hard time finding the sound I'm looking for. Call it a study of bass lines. But its more than that. Its also mood that differentiates, but I'm not able to search for and find the sound or mood I'm looking for based on category names alone. Like deep house, Latin house, tech house, etc bring up results that feel miles away from the style of house im looking for, even though they apparent match the definition of what those sub genres are. Itsmnotmthe fault of the search enginesmormanyomesmfault, its the simple fact that housem!usicmis so diverse that its hard to find the sound you're after bynjust searching for music that fallsmintomthat category, as there are just so many DJs out there making so many tracks and mixes.

So it occurred to me the only solution would be to ask for guidance on the forums and see if anyone can guide me according to labels or artists instead as i think that would be more direct than the genre approach. If i was more experienced obviously it would be easier as i would know what names are putting out what sound but I don't know anythimg except what's in my memory bank. So I need your help

Lug 21-12-2014 10:48 AM

Re: A question about Genet's

discogs is your friend, look up the artist you like, check the labels he has his releases on, check the other artists this label promotes. Sometimes you get good surprises.

realdeephouse 21-12-2014 10:53 AM

Re: A question about Genet's

Thanks Lug, looks interesting ill check it out.

SWIM_DEEP 29-02-2016 04:16 PM

Re: A question about gengres

The same goes with soundcloud promotional pages. Find your artist on SC, find sites or artists that reposted his tracks, you'll find that these guys also repost similair stuff which might be something you're looking for..

Can you explain the sound you're trying to find ? :D or is it not particular?

Xportmusic 10-07-2016 03:22 PM

Re: A question about genres

If you posted an artists name of track that you can refer to as this sound people would be able to help you easier. Have you tried searching for bass house tracks, acid house, I know its difficult as there's so many sub genres to the genre of house

FunkMasterBrown 10-07-2016 04:18 PM

somebodys having a laff. Good one bros

666 10-07-2016 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FunkMasterBrown (Post 1405165)
somebodys having a laff. Good one bros

Or it's national necrobump day

(and if it is, feel my wrath)

D42K732202 11-07-2016 12:42 AM

unless its IDM, it is a mainstream shit made for low-life plebs, here is your guide to music genres

FunkMasterBrown 11-07-2016 12:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 666 (Post 1405197)
Or it's national necrobump day

(and if it is, feel my wrath)

ahhh im not so clever after all

fuck!

MikeyOSB 11-07-2016 01:38 AM

I would suggest just doing web searches, especially Wikipedia.

DOLGAP 17-09-2016 05:54 PM

Try last.fm!